Call us Today

Jag. Team Lead

Permits and

We’re here to help with your immigration journey, offering trusted advice and reliable service.

Call us today
Jag, Team Lead

Same Day Response

RCIC Licensed

300+ Cases Processed

Years of Experience

Understanding Canada Study Permits 

A Canada Study Permit is an official document from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that authorizes international students to study in Canada. This permit is not required for courses less than six months. Conditions may apply to your study permit, such as work eligibility in Canada. 

It is important to note that a study permit does not serve as a visa. It doesn’t grant entry into Canada. You might also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). Depending on your nationality, an eTA may be issued along with your study permit; otherwise, you’ll need to apply for a visitor visa or a TRV (temporary resident visa) separately.  

As an international student in Canada, your obligations include progressing in your program, adhering to the conditions of your study permit, ceasing your studies if eligibility criteria are no longer met, and departing Canada upon the expiry of your permit. At Gio Immigration Consulting, we are committed to helping you understand these responsibilities and providing the necessary support to ensure your stay in Canada is both successful and compliant with all immigration regulations. 

Steps to Extend Your Study Permit in Canada 

For detailed instructions on how to extend your study permit, refer to the following resources: 

  • Eligibility Questionnaire – Extend Study Permit
  • Guide to Completing the IMM5709 – Extend Study Permit Application 

Please note, these are informational guides and not legal documents.

Key Regulations for Study Permits
A study permit generally aligns with the duration of your study program plus an additional 90 days, allowing you time to either prepare to leave Canada or apply for an extension. Special conditions apply if:


Preparatory Courses

If enrolled in courses such as pre-health or pre-technology as a condition of full program acceptance, your permit extends through these courses plus one additional year.


Incomplete Studies by Permit Expiry:

Should you be unable to complete your studies before your permit expires, you must apply to extend your study permit.


Early Completion of Studies

f you complete your studies earlier than expected, your permit will expire 90 days post-completion, regardless of the original expiry date.

Applying for a Study Permit Extension 

The International Experience Centre (IEC) offers regular workshops titled “Study Permit Extension” that detail the extension process and provide answers to your questions. Registration details are available at the IEC. 

Required documents for extension include: 

Completed IMM 5709 Application Form 

  • Passport: Include a digital copy of the page displaying your birth date and country of origin, along with any pages showing stamps, visas, or markings.
  • Proof of Financial Support: Documentation should demonstrate sufficient funds to cover one year of living expenses (approximately $20,635) and tuition fees. This might include bank statements, proof of tuition payments, and housing costs.
  • Digital Photo: Adhere to the specifications outlined by International Experience Canada. A professional photographer can assist in meeting these requirements.
  • Enrollment Verification: A letter from your institution confirming your study status and anticipated graduation date, available from the IEC.
  • Co-op Work Permit Letter (if applicable): A letter detailing the nature of your work and the hours per semester, available from the IEC.
  • Medical Exam Proof (if needed): Refer to the temporary residents’ medical exam requirements. 

Travel Considerations for International Students 

If you travel outside Canada during your studies, ensure you have proof of enrollment at your institution and that any visitor visa or eTA remains valid for re-entry into Canada. 

For more information or assistance with your Canada study permit application or to extend your study permit, feel free to contact us or email 

Additional Important Information for Study Permit Holders 

  • Responsibilities of Study Permit Holders: As a holder of a study permit, it is your duty to comply with all conditions of your permit. This includes maintaining full-time student status and complying with work restrictions. Should you fail to meet these requirements, you must cease your studies and may be required to leave Canada.
  • Extending Your Stay Beyond Study: Upon completion of your studies, if you wish to stay in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit or explore other immigration options such as Express Entry, which can lead to permanent residency. It’s crucial to consult with an immigration advisor to understand your options and prepare the necessary applications in advance.
  • Implications of Not Extending Your Study Permit: If your study permit expires and you have not applied to extend your study permit or secure a new permit, you are required to leave Canada immediately. Remaining in Canada without valid status can result in deportation and may negatively impact your future immigration applications. It is crucial to apply to extend your study permit well before it expires to maintain your legal status and continue your education or employment in Canada without interruption.

Services Available for International Students at the IEC 

The International Experience Centre provides numerous services to assist international students. These include: 

  • Immigration advising
  • Workshops on work permits and post-graduation employment
  • Cultural integration activities
  • Academic support and counseling 

Ensuring Compliance with Canadian Immigration Laws 

It is vital for all international students to remain compliant with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Non-compliance can result in serious consequences, including the revocation of your study permit and future inadmissibility to Canada. 

Updating Your Information 

Any changes in your address, study program, or personal situation must be reported to IRCC within 90 days. This ensures that all correspondence and crucial information from IRCC reaches you without delay. 

Health Insurance for International Students 

Health coverage is mandatory for all international students in Canada. You must ensure that you have adequate health insurance throughout your stay. Many institutions offer health plans, but it’s important to ensure that these plans meet all necessary requirements and provide sufficient coverage. 

Accommodations and Living in Canada 

Adjusting to life in Canada can be challenging. It is important to find suitable accommodation that is safe and conducive to studying. Most colleges and universities offer assistance with finding on-campus or nearby housing. 

Community and Cultural Engagement 

Engaging with the community and participating in cultural activities can significantly enhance your experience in Canada. Most institutions feature international student organizations and clubs that host events and activities, often highlighted on our blog. Active participation in these groups can provide valuable networking opportunities and assist in your acclimatization to Canadian culture. Our blog regularly features stories and insights about how these activities positively impact the lives of international students, providing you with ideas and inspiration for your own journey in Canada. 

Emergency Contacts and Safety 

Knowing who to contact in an emergency is critical. Ensure that you have all necessary emergency contacts for your institution and local services. Additionally, familiarize yourself with Canadian laws and practices to ensure your safety. 

Useful Contacts and Resources 

  • IRCC Contact Centre: For queries related to study permits and visas.
  • Campus International Student Office: Offers personalized support and advice.
  • Local Community Services: Provide additional support, including legal and health services. 

For personalized assistance with your Canada study permit application or extension, please contact us or visit our office. Our team is dedicated to supporting you throughout your educational journey in Canada.

Why Choose Us

Immigration Consulting that is honest, reliable and committed to your success


Book Your Free Consultation

We understand your situation is unique, and we'll explore how we can best help you during a call


Find The Best Path For You

We will give you the best path to achieve your immigration goals


Guiding You At Every Step

We'll support you through your immigration journey. Reach out with any questions or concerns, and we'll be there.


What our clients say

"I need to express gratitude toward GIO Immigration for assisting me with getting my spousal PR and super visa. Mrs Jagdeep Kaur is extremely considerate and consistently there to address my inquiries immediately. She has been very supportive and helpful throughout the application process."
GIO Immigration PR Client
Play Video
"I was completely impressed with their professionalism and customer service. Jagdeep helped a lot and made the process very smooth and simple. I highly recommend her service, it was truly a wonderful time!"
Gurpreet Jhamatt
GIO Immigration Client
Play Video

Immigration Advice You Can Trust

Get help with your immigration journey today. 

Call us today
Jag, Team Lead

Call us today
Jag, Team Lead

Claim Your Free Consultation Call

Speak with our expert immigration consultant

Get specialized advice for your unique situation

Get a response the same day

Call us today

Jag, Team lead

Frequently asked questions

You asked.
We answered.

Here are some of the most common programs. Express entry, family sponsorship, provincial nominee program (PNP), Atlantic immigration, start-up visa, self-employed immigration, and caregiver immigration.

You can apply for your PR through one of the immigration programs. If you need help selecting which program is best for you, contact us for a free consultation.

Firstly you have to be a permanent resident or citizen of Canada. Secondly, you have to meet certain income requirements to sponsor. 

The short answer – it depends. The processing time will depend on the type of application and the current applications being processed by the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)

You will either need IELTs general, IELTs student, or CELPIP. This will depend on your immigration situation.

Each application and program has its own fee set by the IRCC. If you’re using an immigration consultant, they will have their own fees as well.

Immigration consultants can be helpful by gathering all the information specific to your situation. They can give you the best route to achieve your immigration goals. Immigration consultants can save you time and make your immigration journey much easier. Contact us for a free consultation.

Learn from
our insights

Helpful articles to help answer important questions you have

Overview of Canadian Citizenship

Embarking on the journey to become a Canadian citizen is a significant milestone. This guide,

Planning for Citizenship from PR Status

Transitioning from Permanent Residency to citizenship is a monumental milestone for many immigrants, offering a

Eligibility Criteria for PR Renewal in Canada

Navigating the pathway to renewing your Permanent Resident (PR) status in Canada can be a